Residents and businesses that have been cursing Mangaung Municipality over lax rubbish collection for months now have every reason to smile: the metro has intensified efforts to sort the mess.
The municipality says it has put in extra resources in form of personnel and fleet through its Solid Waste Directorate, to attend to the refuse collection backlog that was caused as a result of staff shortages.
In a statement yesterday, the metro noted this approach would be rolled-out in phases and reach all the affected regions in the city where refuse collection has fallen short.
This week, its team has been working on backlogs in Bloemfontein North and the central business district, and will move to stabilise the South next week.
Mangaung explained the waste collection schedule was affected after it implemented measures to curb overtime as part of cost-containment initiatives.
It noted a truck can only collect 800 households per day. The city’s waste management would require 60 trucks but at the moment there are only 25 on average, per day.
“To deal with the backlog and staff shortage, we have added 10 trucks and teams drawn from different sub-divisions put together,” the statement further pointed out.
Solid Waste Directorate head Sello More and his managers have joined the teams for this week to ensure they attend to the backlog and return the schedule to normal.
By Monday afternoon, some of the areas in the north had already been attended to; these include Baysvalley, Westdene and Arboretum, the metro said. The collection rate in the Bloemfontein currently stands at CBD (50%), Pentagonpark (30%), Navilsig (35%), and Willows (30%).
The collection schedule for yesterday was Woodlands (50%), CBD (50%), Willows (50%), Pentagonpark (50%), Navilsig (15%), and Hilton 15%.
The following areas were also scheduled to be covered; Wild Olive, Somerton and Hillside View, Uitsig, Lilyvale, Ray Champion, Mount Sophia, Gen Dan Pienaar, Lucas Steyn, as well as Wilcox & Kenneth Kaunda Street.
The collection schedule for backlogs in the South will be circulated in due course.
“Mangaung Metro would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. We will continuously update residents on the progress,” added the statement.