- We are going to deal with them
- Ace targeted for uncompromising on full implementation of Nasrec resolutions
The ANC Youth League in the Free State has vowed to engage in running campaigns after the May 8 general elections to ensure that alleged sinister leaders of the movement engaged in an internecine and underground conspiracy to tarnish the image and standing of the party’s secretary general, Ace Magashule, are defeated in their ill-conceived plans.
The same leaders are also reportedly vigorously moving a surreptitious drive to unduly influence and engineer the composition of the country’s post-election cabinet and parliament.
But in a fierce reaction in support of startling revelations by Magashule during the week that he is a subject of an illegal surveillance, the ANCYL Free State promised stern reaction, revealing heads will roll once the elections are done and over with.
Magashule also disclosed that ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte’s phone is allegedly illegally being tapped.
“We are aware of those who use state security services for their own ends. This thing first began ahead of the ANC Polokwane national conference in 2007 where President Jacob Zuma was elected and we are not surprised that it is now resurfacing again,” said ANCYL Free State provincial spokesperson Sello Pietersen.
Pietersen said the youth league fought and defeated such forces back then and will not hesitate to do the same this time around.
He added the only reason Magashule is a target of slander is because he is fully committed to the implementation of all the resolutions of the ANC Nasrec policy and elective conference held last year. The conference pledged to push for the expropriation of land without compensation, nationalisation of mines, creation of a state bank, as well as radical socio-economic transformation.
The youth leader said the ‘young lions’ will pull all stops after Wednesday’s crunch elections to ensure that senior leaders of the party who were behind some of the attempts at ‘bastardising’ Magashule do not return to office as deployees of the ANC.
“Those offices that they occupy and use for the wrong reasons to engage in dirty tricks will be given to others after the elections. We are going to make it a point that even if they still get deployed by the movement, it deploys them outside state institutions,” said Pietersen.
The furore over the telephone bugging claims has seen the ANC’s head office Luthuli House suggesting the matter be handled internally by the organisation.
Meanwhile similar disturbing revelations were also made by the deputy minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Obed Bapela, who said he is reliably informed of a clandestine campaign to have his office raided and dent his chances of being appointed minister in President Cyril Ramaphosa’s new cabinet after the elections.
Bapela said the modus operandi involves rendering him compromised to be in the next cabinet by portraying him as a subject of investigation, with the raids allegedly being timed for just before the elections.
But Pietersen is adamant that elements behind this supposed conspiracy would be rooted out and thrown into political oblivion after the polls.
“We know most of them enjoy the luxuries of being chauffeured around in blue lights, but mark my words, after the elections we are going to work double hard to make sure the only blue light they have is in their bedrooms,” he noted.
The ANC in the Free State, Magashule’s home province, in recent weeks had to close rank several times in defending him against ludicrous claims of having single-handedly capturing the whole provincial executive committee of the ANC. The claim has been chastised as both ingenious and lame by the party.
It was however the controversial book ‘Gangster State: Unravelling Ace Magashule’s Web of Capture’ penned by investigative journalist Pieter Loius-Myburgh that saw a volley of reaction in defence of Magashule. The ANC Youth League and the firebrand Congress of South African Students (Cosas) both spoke in unison in condemnation of Myburgh’s book.
Free State based non-governmental organisation and pressure group, Batho Abantu also joined the fray, bluntly saying Magashule was a target of another Stratcom project similar to the one used to discredit the late mother of the nation, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.